Unexpected guests – How to clean up your home in 15 minutes
We’ve all experienced this situation at one time or the other. You pick up the phone only to discover that friends are planning, if possible(?), to drop by within a half an hour. You weren’t expecting guests, and your home really could be in better shape
When the house is a wreck and friends call to say they’ll dropping by within 15 minutes. Here’s how to feel a little more presentable.
Time Required: 15 minutes
- Grab your laundry basket, a plastic trash bag, and a damp cloth.
- If your kids are old enough to help, have them follow you. If not, send them to a far off room to play.
- Start in your family room and fill basket with all clutter including shoes, clothes, magazines, dirty cups, etc.
- Put any trash into trash bag.
- Use damp cloth to wipe any obvious sticky spots off surfaces.
- Go to powder room. Check that toilet is flushed.
- If wastebasket is full, empty into trash bag.
- Go to kitchen. Clear all dirty dishes, glasses, and utensils into sink.
- Tidy papers into piles.
- Put clutter into basket, trash into trash bag.
- Wipe off sticky or crummy surfaces.
- Dim lights, or lower shades in any very bright rooms to hide dust.
- Go to any other rooms along traffic path to family room and kitchen. Follow above procedure as time allows.
- Put laundry basket, trash bag and dirty cloth into unused room and close door.
- Check hair, straighten clothes and put on a smile.
- Remember there is only so much you can do. The point is to make your home reasonably comfortable for you and your guests.
- Once you’ve done all you can accomplish, let it go and relax.
- The most important thing is to make your guests feel welcome, no matter what your house looks like.